One mother sharing her knowledge with others.

Old Glory Scrambled Tabletopper Finished

During the testing of the Abigail Doll pattern, I realized from the feedback that it would be helpful for certain steps to have more detailed photos.  (BTW, I had some amazing testers that were a joy to correspond with.)

The original photos that I included in the test pattern were taken some time ago and I knew that adding photos with a completely different background and lighting to the existing ones wouldn’t result in a very professional looking finished pattern.

So Monday and Tuesday of this week, Dave and I spent the better part of each day retaking step by step pictures for the doll pattern. I still have dolls in various stages of completion, but when I got up Wednesday morning, I looked at those dolls and decided I needed a break from them… especially since just the week before I had completed four sample dolls of the same pattern.

I wanted something quick and easy so I got out this small tabletopper that had been packed in the bottom of my suitcase along with the jelly roll quilt top that I turned into the Ohana Aloha quilt for our middle daughter.

I sandwiched and hand basted it in the morning.

Now I haven’t done a lot of quilting and when I was working on our middle daughter’s quilt, I had a little trouble with tiny puckers on the top. Nothing serious and most of them smoothed out when given the wiggle treatment. Then once the quilt was washed any remaining ones pretty much disappeared but with each project I hope to learn and get better so I did some searching on-line for possible solutions to the puckering.

I found a few suggestions to try out.

First… use a walking foot. I’d used a walking foot to quilt middle daughter’s quilt. So that wasn’t the solution I needed.

Second… adjust the stitch length to a longer stitch to compensate for sewing through that amount of thickness.

And third… slow down. Now I have to admit that when quilting our daughter’s quilt, I was pushing hard and sewing as fast as possible to get it done so that I could send it off to her.

Wednesday afternoon, armed with this new knowledge, I sat down at the machine, adjusted the stitch length to 7 and started quilting… slowly.

And the quilting went perfectly! Not a pucker anywhere.

By supper time, I had the quilting done and the binding attached.  After supper, we popped a movie in and I hand sewed the binding to the back.

I love how it turned out!

Old Glory Scrambled Tabletopper 1

 

Old Glory Scrambled Tabletopper 2
Here’s Dave holding it up for it’s close-up.

Cutting directions and assembly instructions can be found here.

In that post I indicated that I was waiting to complete it until I found the right backing fabric but since no one sees the back of a table topper, I just used the same Kona snow that was used for the white squares on the front.

And then when choosing the binding, I had thought to use the leftover strips of red star fabric but I only had two WOF strips left and needed three WOF to have enough.  I’m glad now that there wasn’t enough red because I think the Kona snow binding frames it beautifully.

11 Comments

  • Elaine
    March 22, 2013 12:09 pm

    Love old glory, that came out great!! the suze is perfect too. I made a scrambled version too last summer.

  • rosa
    March 22, 2013 4:11 pm

    It looks fabulous!

  • Vickie Horsfall
    March 22, 2013 6:41 pm

    This is beautiful! I love the colorsand agree with you on the white border. Very nice.

  • Diane
    March 22, 2013 10:33 pm

    Love this little topper..great job! The blog name, Supermom, no Cape..is hilarious as is the label…made by Mom, assisted by Dad:) Just love it all.

  • wendy
    March 23, 2013 8:43 am

    It’s lovely! I agree, the white was the perfect choice for the binding. Some good quilting tips there, I tend to sew as fast as I can so I’ll try slowing down next time I attempt some quilting.

  • debra@ HOMESPUN
    March 23, 2013 9:12 am

    So pretty! And now you have your 4th of July table setting started too!

    The only machine quilting that I did was years ago on a Christmas Table Topper. It turned out nicely. Evidently I forgot whatever I did then because I tried machine quilting a little doll quilt and I was not too pleased with puckers in one top section. I covered that with lace…but didn’t know to adjust my stitch length. I’ll do that next try! 🙂

  • Beth
    March 23, 2013 7:11 pm

    love the colors here, my favorites

  • Karen
    March 24, 2013 1:09 pm

    Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a kind comment! I love your patriotic quilt and will remember your tips when I sew/quilt the baby quilt I am reworking. (I have only one quilt…a tied one…to my credit made in 1976. I have a LOT to learn!)

  • Linda in Calif.
    March 26, 2013 5:37 pm

    Very cute and I like the way you quilted it too – it’s just right for this quilt.

  • Sewing Mom
    March 27, 2013 9:22 am

    It looks very patriotic! =) Great job.

  • randi
    March 27, 2013 10:43 pm

    So pretty!

Leave a Reply