I thought I’d share how I went about making the bedding set for the doll cradle that I posted about last time .
First, to make the mattress, I measured the inside bottom of the cradle. It was 8 ½ X 25 inches.
So I cut three pieces of a thick batting 8 1/2” X 25”. Well, actually one of the leftover pieces of batting I had was only 8″ wide, but since I was using three pieces, I made it work by off setting the narrower piece when I layered them.)
To figure out what size to cut the fabric for the mattress cover, I measured the depth of the three layers of batting and added that to the width and length of the batting and cut two pieces of flannel that size.
Then with wrong sides facing, I sewed the two long sides and one end, trimmed the corners at an angle and turned it right-side out.
After inserting the batting, I found that the cover was just a little bit too long, so I simply turned under more of the cover before hand stitching the end closed.
Then to make the mattress look like an old-fashioned mattress, I tie quilted it with yarn.
I used the lines in the plaid as a guide for placing my ties.
The pillow was super simple. Just two pieces of flannel from the same plaid cut 6”X8”, sewn together leaving a space for turning and stuffing. Then stuffed and hand stitched closed.
And lastly, for the doll quilt. I had just enough bits and pieces of bear print flannel leftover to fussy cut twenty-one 3 ½” squares. Then I cut out twenty-one 3 ½” squares from yellow flannel. I laid out the squares, alternating bears and yellow fabric in seven rows of 6 squares each. Then it was simply a matter of sewing the squares together in rows, pressing and then sewing the rows together.
After another pressing, I used the top as a pattern to cut out a back. I decided it didn’t need any batting… so next, I sewed the top and back with right sides together leaving an opening for turning. Trimmed the four corners on an angle, then turned it right side out and hand stitched the opening closed.
I gave it one more pressing and then top stitched ¼” from the edge and then again ¼” from the outside of the six blocks in the center.
The entire bedding set was made from fabric and batting leftover from other projects. The only cost was my time. But if you’ve read my other post about the cradle and bedding set… it was time well spent.