Today I’m working on sewing the quilt back for this scrappy nine patch quilt top:
A larger photo of the quilt top can be seen here.
I’m using a thrifted white cotton sheet for the back but it wasn’t quite long enough so I added a row of blocks made from the leftovers fabrics from the front.
When I was pressing the sheet to get it ready to use, I noticed one small area of discolouration and a couple of little stains that look like marker stains so decided to conceal them with some appliquéd hearts.
I’ve got one heart done, two more basted and ready to appliqué. The back is going to need another good pressing once I get them sewn down.
And now I’m actually glad there were those little flaws that needed to be creatively covered up, because I really like what those three simple hearts are adding to the back.
Once I’m finished with this quilt back, I’ve got one more to make for my Disappearing Nine Patch quilt top and then it’s on to cutting batting to fit. Then I’ll have 5 quilts ready to be hand-basted. Almost perfect timing for FNSI this Friday, May 20. Though I may also spend that evening getting acquainted with the vintage Singer 15-91 that I won on an ebay auction on Mother’s Day.