I’m finally at my most favorite stage of quilting with these mini quilts… hand sewing the binding to the back of the quilt. But it took me much longer to get here than I had anticipated. There were times when I wondered if this was one project that was going to defeat me. My seam ripper saw a lot and I mean a lot of use when making the blocks and when quilting them.
The thread part of the spools went together easily but when it came time to make the spool tops and bottoms, I had no end of trouble. In fact, I ended up having to cut more strips and squares and completely remake quite a few and even then after sewing them onto the thread the final result was some very wonky blocks.
Luckily, I had cut and sewed two sets of the thread part as I had planned to make two of the mini spool quilts. So I put all the not quite but almost perfect blocks in one quilt and the not so perfect, wonky blocks in the second quilt.
Here they are hand-basted and ready to quilt.
I decided to quilt the spool quilts using stitch in the ditch, so I practiced on the doll quilt before doing the spool ones. But even with that practice when it came to quilting the mini spools, there were lines of quilting that had to be unpicked and redone, sometimes more than once. It felt at times, like those little guys just didn’t want to get finished.
But finally they are, bound and ready to do the hand sewing:
I hope to have them completely finished to share with you by Friday. Wish me luck!!!