It has been a productive couple of days and I’ve managed to clear a few things off Wednesday’s list so they didn’t go back on the cutting table after I cut out my new apron.
First of all, I made this block as the base for an Under the Sea crazy quilted block…
This was actually #5 on the list and I have no idea if I did it correctly. The crazy quilted base blocks that Renee showed on her blog looked like they had been paper pieced, so I drew up a simple pattern, numbered the sections and started adding fabrics.
Dave and I are scuba divers so I had this idea in my head that I wanted the sandy bottom in two different colors and for the water to look like the sun was shining through the water and illuminating those “branches.” If you’ve ever been diving you’ll know what I mean.
There was supposed to be another blue silk fabric but I searched through every drawer of my fabric dresser and every plastic tote and I couldn’t find it anywhere. So I made do with the light blue I had and just used the sections of the print that worked for the water. That dark greeny/blue is supposed to be a deeper area of water.
After I got the block pieced, I fused a piece of light weight interfacing to the back of the block to give it some stability.
Now I just need to start embellishing it with embroidery to create my underwater scene. The two clear buttons will be turned into jelly fish!
Number 2 on Wednesday’s list was adding extra length to the t-shirt. That’s completed and I’ll have a short post soon about how simple it is to do.
Number 3 was serging the edges of a small pile of fabric so that it could be pre-washed. Done!
Numbers 1 and 4 are still on the list but I hope to get to at least one of them this weekend.
Finally, I have a brand new apron… though the plan for it changed a couple of times along the way. As I mentioned on Wednesday I had planned to make the apron using this pattern.
Well… I got the pattern all cut out and tried one those triangle pieces for the top up against my chest and let’s just say the pattern was designed for someone who has not been quite so generously blessed in that department as I have.
Already having my heart set on a new apron from that particular fabric, I decided just to make another like the one I use every day. Now I have to confess, this is one of the few aprons I’ve made from an actual purchased pattern. But as you will see, even that didn’t go as planned.
I was sure that when I bought that hibiscus fabric, I had gotten at least a yard. But now I think perhaps that might have been one of the sale fabrics that I purchased whatever was left on the bolt. There was only 28 inches of it; not nearly enough to make the apron I wanted to make.
I thought about making the skirt of the apron in the hibiscus fabric and the top and ties in the second fabric pictured above. (That was going to be used for the ruffles in the first apron.)
But then I remembered the blue fabric that I’d used to bind my Flying Zebra quilt. An afternoon of sewing and I have a brand new Aloha apron.
I wish you all wonderful, heart-centered weekend with much Aloha!!