Well actually, I tried two new things.
Last week, when we were getting ready to head back to Canada, I decided to get a few embroideries ready so that I’d have some take-along projects to work on during the long road trip and also during my days in the hotel room while Dave was at work. (He started a one-week contract on Monday.)
In the past, I’ve always used white muslin or pieces of white thrifted sheets (well washed) as the base for my embroidery projects. But this time, I decided to use various pieces of the Kona Snow that I had leftover from other projects I’d worked on over the winter.
I really like the way Kona Cotton feels but I do have one pet peeve about it. It has the tendency to fray. And sure enough, once the tracing was done, I noticed that the edges had already started to fray.
Now since finished embroideries have to be squared up anyway, I don’t usually worry about a little bit of fraying. But as this was Kona Cotton, I decided to try something else new.
I set up my serger (one of the things we had managed to get out of storage in Georgia to have in Florida with us) and I serged around the edge of each piece.
Dave and I shared the driving on our trip but as he likes to do the majority of the driving, I had lots of time to embroider and I managed to finish this one:
Here’s a close-up:
The Kona Cotton was lovely to embroider on and I’m so glad I have more ready to be stitched. It is definitely my new favourite fabric for embroidery projects.
And as you can see, serging the edges prevented any further fraying.
The Seeds of Friendship design came from this pattern I purchased last June when we stopped at The Quilt Box.
As I’m once again without a sewing machine, the embroidery will have to wait to be turned into a pillow.