In last Wednesday’s Work In Progress (WIP) post I mentioned that I had the fabrics chosen and the zippers bought for two more sewing kits. The kits have been cut out and all the pieces placed in individual plastic zip bags ready for me to start sewing.
The Star Fruit Cushion would have been completed except that I got frustrated that it wasn’t stuffing as smoothly as I’d like and just when I got one side looking the way I wanted it, I’d see another side that needed smoothing out or a corner point that wasn’t as pointy as I thought it should be and on and on it went. This is where it sits now.
I’ve left it on the fold out leaf of the sewing cabinet to force me to finish it today before I start anything else.
Also from last week, I managed to complete the final embroidery panel for the stitch-a-long I’ll be posting about soon. I’ve been working on this off and on for months and it’s great to have those panels finished.
Now that my “Act of Faith” embroidery project is finished and all the embroidery for the stitch-a-long is finished, I need another project to work on in the evenings.
For quite a while now, I’ve been seeing some really cool examples of people using embroidery to embellish print fabrics and on a recent trip to the States, I saw the perfect fabric panel to try out this technique.
The panel is VW24Summer from Valori Wells’ line called Nest for Free Spirit Fabrics. Each panel consists of three different bird vignettes.
As I thought about the fabric, a picture grew in my mind of how I wanted it to look and I realized that not only was it embroidered but also hand quilted. So I’ve taken two of those vignettes and sandwiched and basted them.
Once I’ve completed both the embroidery and hand quilting, I plan to turn them into a tote bag.
Edited to add: To see what I actually turned them into, click here.