Back in April, Amandajean from Crazy Mom Quilts started a one-a-day quilt along, in which participants would complete one 9 patch quilt block per day resulting, at the end of 10 weeks, with 70 finished scrappy 9 patch blocks.
I soon discovered that I didn’t have nearly enough fabric scraps to make a truly scrappy quilt as I had purged my fabric stash when we moved from Hawaii to Florida and then again when we moved from Florida to Georgia. To complicate matters even further, as I began cutting 2 1/2″ squares and picturing in my mind how they would go together, I decided I wanted an anchor fabric in the center of each square to tie all the finished blocks together. That meant that even some of the fabric scraps I did have couldn’t be used because they didn’t match well with that fabric.
However, at the end of the ten weeks, with the leftover fabric scraps I had on hand and some purchased (after rummaging through every remnant bin at every fabric store around) I managed to complete 70 blocks.
As you can see, I chose 10 different fabrics for the contrasting squares and then made up 7 blocks in each. While I was cutting squares, I also cut out 20 extra of each to be used for the border.
On one of my trips to search for matching fabrics, I was lucky enough to find more of the center fabric and purchased enough of that to use for the sashing. But that will have to wait for another day. For now, I’m just pleased to have completed the 70 blocks needed for the quilt.