Helping you create a home by hand.

Trellis Quilt – A Scrappy Nine Patch Quilt

Today’s finish has been a long time coming and is all the more satisfying because of that.

I started this quilt back in April of 2009 as part of a quilt-a-long hosted by Amanda Jean over at crazy mom quilts. The idea was to sew one nine-patch block per day. By July, I’d completed the 70 nine patches needed for the quilt and then those blocks sat until November 2009 when I finally figured out how I wanted to lay them out.

It then took until May of 2011 before I got around to making a back for the quilt. I used a white thrifted sheet to which I added a row of leftover fabrics from the quilt top. I also added three appliqué hearts to cover some small stains that were on the sheet.

Then it was time to sandwich and hand-baste the quilt.

Once again the quilt got folded and set aside while I tried to figure out how to quilt it.

In the meantime, Dave’s contract with the company he’d been working for in the US since 2003 ended. He did have another job offer at the time but it wasn’t due to start for a few months so we had to return to Canada in order not to violate the terms of his work visa. Everything was packed up and moved into what we thought was going to be temporary storage.

Three years and many adventures later plus a major move just completed and I rediscovered the quilt packed in the same box as the cabinet that houses my Singer 15-91.

The last week and a half has been spent quilting and binding it. I finished hand sewing the last stitch of the binding at 2 am this morning.

I should probably have waited until a sunny day to photograph it but Amanda Jean is hosting her Finish It Up Friday link party today and what more appropriate finish than to share a quilt that got its start on one of her quilt-a-longs.

The quilt finished at approximately 66” X 89”. Dave had to stand on top of something to hold it up.

Trellis Quilt finished

One of the ladies who pinned a photo of the quilt top  called it a Trellis quilt so I’ve decided that’s what I’m going to name it when I have time to embroidery the label for it.

Those hearts make such a cute addition to the back.

Back of Trellis Quilt

Here’s a close of the simple yet effective straight line quilting.

Close up of Trellis Quilt

And a close up of the cute rainbow dotted fabric I used for the binding:

Binding on Trellis Quilt

I’m hoping that because all the fabrics were pre-washed that it doesn’t shrink too much after it’s done washing and drying. (Three years in storage and it does need to be freshened up to be ready for company.) The quilt is more than long enough for the full sized bed it will be gracing but there’ll only about a 5 inch overhang on the sides. I’ll post a photo once I have the guest bedroom company ready.

And now it’s back to working on gifts. I can’t believe Christmas is less than 2 weeks away!



I would be so pleased if you chose to share by clicking on one of the buttons below!


  • Wendy
    December 16, 2014 8:42 am

    Well done on finishing it, it looks great! I love the applique hearts on the back.

  • Wendy B
    December 13, 2014 8:44 pm

    such a worthwhile finish…..and how heartwarming to be able to share it where it’s concept began! Looks fab and yes, Trellis is certainly a great name for it. Congrats.
    sugary hugs
    WEndy :o)

  • Colleen
    December 13, 2014 9:25 am

    thanks for leaving such a nice comment on my blog. Your 9 patch turned out great. Sounds like you move around a lot – glad it didn’t get lost in the
    move ! I like doing something unexpected on the back of my quilts, too.

  • Celtic Thistle Stitches
    December 13, 2014 4:09 am

    What a fabulous finish! Well worth the wait Susan.

  • Gemini Jen NZ
    December 12, 2014 6:14 pm

    It looks really great! I think Trellis is a good name for it and I like the way you used the floral as the sashing. Well done on getting it finished! (I love the hearts on the back too!)

Comments are closed.