I mentioned in my post last Wednesday that Dave completed refinishing the Art Deco Cabinet for my Singer 15-91 and as promised the following post is loaded with photos.
It’s been challenging to get good pictures of the cabinet and I’m not sure that these do it justice. Dave did an amazing refinishing job and the cabinet is really stunning when seen in person.
There remain a few “imperfections” where the years had taken it’s toll on the cabinet; a chip in the veneer under the left hand drawer, a dent in the wood of the left hand extending leaf where someone had tried to close it while the machine was still in the upright position… little things like that Dave decided to leave untouched because to attempt to repair them might have caused irreparable damage to the cabinet itself.
The refinishing was done in the garage so before we brought the cabinet in the house we took some pictures of it out on the driveway to try to catch the early morning sun.
In this picture you can see how even the brass hinges have been cleaned and returned to their original beauty.
Dave also replaced all the felt pads with new ones as the originals had gotten hard and worn with time and weren’t providing any cushioning when the leafs were open.
I’ve been using the machine in it’s new cabinet for a week now but we couldn’t get good photos as it was positioned in the room, so Dave moved it temporarily so that we could have the light from the one window in that room. One thing is for sure, we don’t want to have to move the cabinet too often now, because with the machine in it, it is really heavy.
Another shot of the front of the Art Deco cabinet.
And here is my Singer 15-91 in her new home.
Excuse the blue low tack painters tape you see on the needle plate. I’m using it as a temporary seam guide until the new Adhesive Needle Throat Plate markings arrive that I’ve ordered from Sew Classic.
And we can’t forget that Dave also refinished the bench seat that came with the cabinet.
He even recovered the cushion with fabric from my stash.
In this picture and the one above, we turned the flash off so that you could see a truer representation of the fabric on the cushion and in this second one… a bit more clearly the detail of the black strip at the bottom.
Another unique touch that Dave added, at my request, are the spool holders he inserted into the middle drawer on the right hand side of the cabinet. Each spool rod holds a tall spool with room for its matching bobbin on top.
And before someone notices and mentions it, yes, I know that two of the bobbins are plastic bobbins and can’t be used in the 15-91. I popped them in there just for demonstration purposes. The Simplicity Sidewinder Bobbin Winder that our son gave me for Christmas is going to come in handy for rewinding bobbins as I change thread back and forth between my two machines.
One final picture of the cabinet where it now sits ready for me to finish sewing the lawn chair cushions and countless other projects I have planned for the future.
Before pictures of the cabinet can be seen in my post Art Deco Cabinet for My Singer 15-91.
For an in-progress picture check out Art Deco Cabinet – Some Dis-Assembly Required.